The goals of the Raider Time Advisory Program are…
- To provide students with the opportunity to have a meaningful relationship with an adult throughout their current high school career.
- To provide students with the opportunity to develop a relationship with a group of peers throughout their high school career.
- To provide a vehicle for delivering information and curriculum to students on a grade level basis. Delivery of information could include, but not be limited to:
- Guidance curriculum
- Registration and advisement
- Emotional and social issues
- Academic guidance
- Career guidance and exploration
- To monitor student academic progress and help students achieve the schools goal of graduation in four years.
Expansion of the Advisory Program
Research tells us that students generally will be more successful in smaller community settings. We also know from research that the most significant determination of student success is a relationship with a significant adult. We want to go beyond teaching our subject matter to students and develop that relationship which will impact students through the advisory group. We are hopeful that the information shared during the advisory time will help students learn important information and skills, plan their future and build the confidence to be a more productive citizen.
“If even one person in a school knows him well enough to care, a student’s chances of success go up dramatically. In small groups that can focus on a range of subjects, teachers and students are forming new bonds and setting new standards for a more personal education.”
(Horace, September 1990)